[rspec-users] Evaluating shared example customisation block before shared block

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Wed Aug 4 04:30:41 EDT 2010

On 4 Aug 2010, at 7:55 AM, Myron Marston wrote:

> Ashley: thanks for posting the example.  It's nice to see how this all
> fits together.

Arguably it would have made more sense to post that example *before*, rather than expecting you all to read my mind :)

I'm pleased with how it's working out so far.  I need to write a lot more of these to know though.  I only got as far as this one example before deciding to shave the shared example yak before moving on.

> Re: RSpec 2 for ruby 1.8.6: I don't see RSpec 2 as being all that
> useful for Rails 2.x projects on ruby 1.8.6.  However, it's still very
> important for gems.  I just converted one of my projects (VCR[1]) to
> RSpec 2, and VCR supports ruby 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.1.  If we remove
> ruby 1.8.6 support from RSpec 2, I'd have to migrate back to RSpec 1.x
> so that I can continue to run the spec suite on 1.8.6.  I imagine
> there will be plenty of other libraries that will want to upgrade to
> using RSpec 2 after the final release, while still supporting 1.8.6.

Cool, if it's possible to maintain 1.8.6 support in RSpec 2 then by all means do so.  I wasn't aware that such a large amount of code needed to run on 1.8.6, I assumed most had moved to 1.8.7.  Doesn't look like it takes too much to monkeypatch 1.8.6 up to spec anyway.

Cheers
Ash

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/