[rspec-users] Evaluating shared example customisation block before shared block

Myron Marston myron.marston at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 02:55:46 EDT 2010

Ashley: thanks for posting the example.  It's nice to see how this all
fits together.

Re: RSpec 2 for ruby 1.8.6: I don't see RSpec 2 as being all that
useful for Rails 2.x projects on ruby 1.8.6.  However, it's still very
important for gems.  I just converted one of my projects (VCR[1]) to
RSpec 2, and VCR supports ruby 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.1.  If we remove
ruby 1.8.6 support from RSpec 2, I'd have to migrate back to RSpec 1.x
so that I can continue to run the spec suite on 1.8.6.  I imagine
there will be plenty of other libraries that will want to upgrade to
using RSpec 2 after the final release, while still supporting 1.8.6.

Good news: I messed around with module_exec some more, and I think I
have a working implementation for 1.8.6[2].  This was complicated
enough that I wanted to work on it in isolation from RSpec; hence the
separate github project.  We'll probably want to re-organize it a bit
before merging it in, if it's deemed "good enough" to work for our
needs.  It has some specs that pass for module_exec on 1.8.7, and they
pass on 1.8.6 with my implementation, too.  There may be cases where
it still doesn't work quite right, though--feel free to fork, add
specs, etc.

Myron

[1] http://github.com/myronmarston/vcr
[2] http://github.com/myronmarston/module_exec