[rspec-users] RSpec 2 Ruby 1.8.6 support (was Evaluating shared example customisation block before shared block)

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 05:49:29 EDT 2010

On Aug 01, 2010, at 11:52 pm, David Chelimsky wrote:

> re: 1.8.6, we've got a home-grown implementation of instance_exec that runs in 1.8.6 (although I just discovered that it's broken - fix coming shortly). I could
>
> a) add such a thing for module_exec as well, though I haven't quite figured out how that works yet.
> b) only support parameterized shared groups in ruby 1.8.7 or better
> c). the most drastic option, would be to drop support for 1.8.6 entirely, but I don't think that's really feasible yet.

Hmmm.  If you're working on a Rails project with RSpec 2 (which I'm not, but I'm guessing that will be a very common case), you need 1.8.7 anyway, as Rails 3 won't run on anything less.  If you're not using Rails, I can't imagine anyone starting a new project on 1.8.6 now.  (All my new stuff is on 1.9.2.)

Is 1.8.6 support in RSpec 2 *really* necessary?  Any thoughts from anyone?

Cheers
Ash

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/