[rspec-users] Future of RSpec Integration Testing

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Fri Apr 30 12:13:16 EDT 2010

On Apr 30, 2010, at 9:36 AM, Steve Klabnik wrote:

> "Integration testing" is also known as "full-stack testing."

This is true in the Rails world but it is far from a universal truth. Before Rails came around, integration testing (testing the integration between two or more non-trivial components) was actually a subset of functional testing (testing the system from the perspective of a user).

I'll venture a guess as to why Rails turned that around: functional tests were part of the Rails testing infrastructure earlier on and when a new form of testing was introduced that had a wider scope, it needed a name, and "integration" seemed to fit the bill.

I think "full-stack" or "end-to-end" testing are much more descriptive than "integration testing."