[rspec-users] test spies

Michael Guterl mguterl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 15:38:50 EDT 2010

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 1:16 PM, David Chelimsky <dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 12, 2010, at 11:17 AM, Michael Guterl wrote:
>
>> I'm curious what the current state of test spies in rspec is?
>>
>> What is everyone using for this?  not a mock?  rr?  rspec-spies?
>> I see that spies were going to be added to rspec 1.3.0, but pulled
>> because of a bug
>> (https://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/5645/tickets/938), will this
>> be brought back in?  I really like the rspec standard mock / stub
>> syntax and am hesitant to move to another solution.
>
> Not-a-mock works. Any reason not to just use that?

Mostly because I like the default rspec stub / mock syntax.  Adding
not-a-mock replaces the entire mock framework:

  config.mock_with NotAMock::RspecMockFrameworkAdapter

doing so causes all of my existing specs to break.  It seemed like the
built-in rspec solution did not require changing all of my existing
mocks/stubs.

Best,
Michael Guterl