[rspec-users] Passing get request parameters in an rspec test

Phillip Koebbe phillipkoebbe at gmail.com
Fri Apr 2 13:51:44 EDT 2010

  On 2010-04-02 12:16 PM, Matt Kolenda wrote:
> Hello
>
> Please forgive my noobness to rspec.

We're all noobs at some point in regard to something. No forgiveness
necessary. :)

>   I have a controller method that inspects the params[:id] object and
> renders a view that depends on the existence of that :id.
>
> I want to ensure that the view is rendered in the controller rspec
> test.  The rspec code is:
>
>   describe "GET 'enrollments'" do
>     it "should be successful" do
>       get 'enrollments'
>       response.should be_success
>     end
>   end
>
> The 'enrollments' controller method inspects the params object, pulls
> out the :id and uses it in a few queries to populate a couple of
> instance variables.
>
> My question is "How do I pass in the params[:id] parameter to the get
> 'enrollments' line?"

get 'enrollments', {:id => '1')

One thing I've learned is to pay attention to the data type you use in
the params hash when you use get|post|put|delete. The params hash in a
real application is filled with strings, so yours should be too.
> Thanks in advance
>
> Matt

Peace,
Phillip