[rspec-users] [BDD] View specs and cucumber -- duplication of effort?

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 22:14:57 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 28, 2009 at 9:46 PM, nruth <nick.rutherford at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the time being I'm going to keep writing view specs, but try to
> make them lighter and cut some of the dead wood by describing unusual
> or interesting behaviour rather than all behaviour.

What a strange rant.  "What's the value of this? Look at all the
people succeeding without it. This makes no sense to me! ...I'll keep
doing it."

This is not a church. You will not be excommunicated from BDD. If a
practice doesn't make sense to you, don't do it. If *not* doing it
leads to perceptible hassles and suddenly the reasons for it make
sense, start doing it again.

I don't write view specs. Other people do. I share your opinion that
Cucumber covers the same ground. Others point out that isolating the
views makes specific interface bugs easier to spot and separate from
controller or model failures.

The argument in favor of view specs makes sense. Your argument against
it makes sense too.  What I can't understand from your post is what
your persuasive purpose is. I'm not sure if you're trying to persuade
_others_ that it's okay not to write view specs, or persuade
_yourself._

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)