[rspec-users] spec failing to run specs when spec.opts is present on 1.2.9

Paul Carey paul.p.carey at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:28:44 EDT 2009

Hi

I ran across the following when running spec on an old merb app.

$ cat spec/spec.opts
$ spec spec/models/topic_spec.rb

Options written to spec/spec.opts. You can now use these options with:
spec --options spec/spec.opts
$ cat spec/spec.opts
spec/models/topic_spec.rb
$ spec spec/models/topic_spec.rb

Options written to spec/spec.opts. You can now use these options with:
spec --options spec/spec.opts
$ cat spec/spec.opts
spec/models/topic_spec.rb
spec/models/topic_spec.rb
$ spec spec/models/topic_spec.rb -b
*

Pending:

Topic should have specs (Not Yet Implemented)
./spec/models/topic_spec.rb:6

Finished in 0.004289 seconds

1 example, 0 failures, 1 pending
$ rm spec/spec.opts
$ spec spec/models/topic_spec.rb
*

Pending:

Topic should have specs (Not Yet Implemented)
./spec/models/topic_spec.rb:6

Finished in 0.048676 seconds

1 example, 0 failures, 1 pending
$

Outside of the old merb app, I wasn't able to duplicate this issue. I
also copied the spec_helper from a newly created merb app (1.0.12)
into the old app, but the issue persisted. Perhaps a library conflict
might be to blame?

I also encoutered an even stranger issue where a single example
resulted in multiple failures i.e. a spec containing 4 examples
produced the following output
3 examples, 3 failures
6 examples, 6 failures

Both of these issues disappeared when I reverted to 1.2.8. I'll add
more to this thread if and when I re-upgrade.

Paul