[rspec-users] spec-ing private methods?

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 20:06:58 EDT 2009

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 7:07 PM, Ashley Moran
<ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk> wrote:
> On 14 Oct 2009, at 22:48, Matt Wynne wrote:
>> By the way, Sprout Class comes from 'Working Effectively with Legacy Code'
>> (Feathers), which is probably the best book I've read on TDD (Admittedly
>> I've yet to read The RSpec Book). Highly recommended.
> I've heard good things about this book too.  Do you also recommend xUnit
> Patterns?

It's been a while since I've read that book. From what I remember it
had a lot of great information, but there were many sections I don't
find applicable for my coding practices. I think a lot of the typical
xUnit styles of testing are heavily influenced from heavier weight
languages (like Java for instance). I think that is reflected in much
of the material in the book.

I did enjoy reading it over a few month period because of the wealth
of information, but I would consider many of the techniques dated
given where the current state of tools (RSpec and Cucumber), the
flexibility of our ruby, and the philosophy of BDD have put us.

So if you're looking to read it for immediately applicable techniques
I would say don't bother, but if you're an information-whore and want
to gain a wealth of knowledge, and want to see a lot of thinking and
techniques that have influenced a lot of today's tools and thinking,
then read it, for sure, but don't expect to read it in a weekened or
even a week... that would be information overload -- your brain would