[rspec-users] should and != operator

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Wed Oct 14 14:12:00 EDT 2009

On 14 Oct 2009, at 17:01, Stephen Eley wrote:

> Did your brain try to warn you?  You're part of the system, you
> know.  >8->

Well I already know not to do `should !=`, so I don't do it.  But I
was suggesting that RSpec could make an AST pass over the specs to
pick up this, which is undetectable otherwise - at least under Ruby
<1.9, apparently.  (It would be something like mini RSpecLint, I
guess.)  != caught me out quite a few times when I was first learning
RSpec.  I misinterpreted your comment to mean that something like this
was already in RSpec.

> If you don't care whether the code is useful, I'm baffled as to why
> you might care whether the tests are useful.

Lol, I was joking!  The implication was I always write specs* because
I always care if the code is useful.

Ashley

* Actually, that's a lie.  I have support code in my Cucumber features
that has no specs, and yes, we've found bugs in them.  But all my non-
false-positive features prove that they work =)  So maybe I should
say, "I always write specs except when I don't, and I always regret it
when I don't".

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashleymoran