[rspec-users] stub! and stubs

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Oct 12 21:41:10 EDT 2009

On Oct 12, 2009, at 10:26 PM, Scott Taylor wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2009, at 9:14 PM, David Chelimsky wrote:
>
>> On Oct 12, 2009, at 9:37 PM, Sam Woodard wrote:
>>
>>> I have an interesting setup:  I am using rspec for mocking but I
>>> have
>>> mocha installed which give me access to any_instance, expects,
>>> etc.  The
>>> problem that I am having is that I want to stub out a method for the
>>> duration of a single example, throughout that example but only for
>>> that
>>> example.
>>>
>>> If I do,
>>>
>>> Goal.any_instance.stub!(:valid?).and_return(true)
>>>
>>> this is not sufficient because valid is called more than once
>>>
>>> If I do,
>>>
>>> Goal.any_instance.stubs(:valid?).returns(true) then my tests are not
>>> independent but dependent on one another.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help?
>>
>> While mocha and rspec's mocks might be compatible for you in some
>> cases, it is purely accidental. I'd strongly recommend you choose
>> one or the other. If any_instance is important to you, I'd choose
>> mocha. If not, choose whichever makes you happier.
>
> Unless I'm incorrect, this is still a feature request on the
> lighthouse tracker.
>
> I don't see why we couldn't use something like this code:
>
> http://github.com/smtlaissezfaire/mix_master
>
> to implement the mixin/mixout feature that we'd need to support
> different frameworks per-example group.

Hey Scott - I haven't looked into mixmaster yet, but supporting
multiple mock frameworks is definitely something I want to do/support
in rspec-2. Just been busy trying to get the book done and on paper
before I focus on the next version of rspec.

I think this is a separate issue, however. Sam is looking to mix
frameworks in a single statement.

FWIW,
David