[rspec-users] Can't run specs after upgrading gems... get 0 tests, 0 assertions...

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 19:35:44 EDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 4:15 PM, Paco Guzman <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> If I change to :lib => false I got the same text in the execution. But
> If I uninstall test-unit 2.0.3 like Len said the examples executes
> right.

There's a pernicious known bug in RSpec that causes it to fail with
newer versions of the test-unit gem.  This has a stronger impact on
those of us using Ruby 1.9, which doesn't include Test::Unit at all,
and is somewhat documented here:

http://wiki.github.com/dchelimsky/rspec/ruby-191

I made a brief attempt at one point to figure out what broke with
newer Test::Unit versions, but got a bit lost just setting up the
RSpec-Dev project to pass all specs.  Really troubleshooting RSpec
internals is probably beyond me.

So I'll be a smartass instead: David, given the broad impact and
confusing output of the test-unit dependency problem, would it be a
practical short-term solution to simply bundle version 1.2.3 of the
Test::Unit gem into RSpec?  And then require the bundled Test::Unit
directly on its path instead of the gem and Ruby loadpaths?

Sure, for stock Ruby 1.8 users this would be redundant, but they
wouldn't really lose anything.  And everyone on 1.9 or running the
Test::Unit gem for other purposes gains reliability and a much easier
path to getting RSpec running the first time.  It's not an ideal
solution but it'd be quick to set up.  Is there a reason why this
wouldn't work or shouldn't be done?

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)