[rspec-users] Introductory recommendations?

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Thu Nov 26 06:45:06 EST 2009

On Nov 25, 2009, at 6:38 pm, Matt Wynne wrote:

> +1
>
> And have a coding dojo ASAP. It's much easier to learn when you're having fun.
>
> On 25 Nov 2009, at 18:07, Pat Maddox wrote:
>
>> Pair with them.  How big's the team?  Lots of ways you can do this.

+2

+1 For the pairing, it's the most efficient way to share knowledge.  But I suggest making it clear it's training. I've done it where the other person was under the impression that the point of the exercise to produce production code, and became frustrated with how slow it is.

+1 For the Coding Dojo (which involves pairing anyway).  Had no idea how much fun these are until I ran one.  It's especially valuable for the amount of cognitive dissonance it generates - pretty much every line of code is a point of discussion.

I think that given the task of training a team of 5 now, I'd give serious thought to a Coding Dojo on a Friday, then pairing with each developer the next week.  Or maybe, facilitating pairs pulled and rotated from the team (ie three people at a workstation).

Ashley

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/ashleymoran