[rspec-users] create_<association?>

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Thu May 28 02:39:52 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Denis Haskin <denis at haskinferguson.net> wrote:
> Any know issues with the dynamic create_<association> method and
> factory_girl?
> I have an object created by a factory:
>     @order = Factory.create :payable_order_with_line_items
> and then I do:
>     @order.create_ship_address(<attributes for ship_address)
> then the ship_address object is persisted but the association is not made
> (e.g. @order.ship_address_id is nil).
> If I instead create the Address object and then say
> @order.update_attributes(:ship_address => address), everything is fine.
> Is this some issue with mixing factory-created objects with non?  I can't
> imagine that's an issue...

I don't think it's an issue w/FactoryGirl. A belongs_to association in
Rails adds the create_xxxxx association method, which returns a new
object of the associated type that has been instantiated and saved. It
does NOT save the receiver. For example:

This creates a ShipAddress and it updates @order's in-memory
ship_address_id, but it does not save @order. You have to do that.
Here's the example the Rails docs gives:

    Post#create_author (similar to post.author = Author.new;
post.author.save; post.author)

Which in this example, the post is never saved, only it's in-memory
association is set, so you still need to save @order in your example.