[rspec-users] modules and stub

Sarah Allen lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon May 25 01:51:02 EDT 2009

David Chelimsky wrote:

> Foo::Bar.stub(:do_something)

hmm. that's pretty close to where I started.

> If you stub, for example, do_something on this module, but it turns
> out that do_something gets added to the module through some dynamic
> means *after the stub declaration*, the stub declaration will be
> overwritten and you'll get surprising results. This is not just true
> of globals - it's true of any methods that appear through the magic of
> metaprogramming.

Ah, the joys of dynamic languages.  After further looking at the code, I
see that the module 'require' is intentionally inside an if, so that it
will only get loaded as needed.  If I explicitly require file containing
the module in the spec.rb file, then it works.  I suppose the require in
the code I'm testing will only have an effect when it's not present in
the calling code.  Still puzzled why I could call the module before
without getting a syntax error.

Thanks so much for your help.

Sarah