[rspec-users] RSpec for Rails plugin

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sat May 23 18:02:43 EDT 2009

On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 12:30 AM, Sarah Allen <lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> David Chelimsky wrote:
>> Check out Pat's rspec plugin generator:
>>
>> http://github.com/pat-maddox/rspec-plugin-generator/tree/master
>
> Hey thanks.  That sounds like just the thing, but I'm kind of new to
> this stuff.  I guessed where to put it and it seemed to work so far.
> I'm adding notes as I go to the wiki:
> http://wiki.github.com/pat-maddox/rspec-plugin-generator/installation-and-basic-use
>
> I'm following along with http://guides.rubyonrails.org/plugins.html but
> I'm feeling my way around in the dark a bit since I'm relatively new to
> rspec and plugins.  If anyone is inspired to read the new wiki page and
> let me know if there's any points I'm missing, that would be nice.
>
> I expected to be able to run 'spec:plugins' but it appears to have no
> effect:
>  $ rake spec:plugins
>  (in /Users/sarah/src/yaffle_guide)
>
> It does work if I call spec on the spec.rb file
>
> $ spec vendor/plugins/yaffle/spec/yaffle_spec.rb
> -- create_table(:hickwalls, {:force=>true})
>   -> 0.0663s
> -- create_table(:wickwalls, {:force=>true})
>   -> 0.0114s
> -- create_table(:woodpeckers, {:force=>true})
>   -> 0.0075s
> -- initialize_schema_migrations_table()
>   -> 0.0011s
> -- assume_migrated_upto_version(0)
>   -> 0.0009s
> .
>
> Finished in 0.005407 seconds
>
> 1 example, 0 failures
>

> With a plugin that has many spec.rb files, how do I run all of them?

I'm not sure why 'rake spec:plugins' is not working for you, but short
of solving that problem, you can type the spec command directly if you
have rspec and rspec-rails gems installed:

spec vendor/plugins/yaffle/spec

By default, that will pick up all the files below
vendor/plugins/yaffle/spec that end in _spec.rb. You can learn more
about how to use the command by typing:

spec --help

Cheers,
David