[rspec-users] Cucumber: Running one feature under one profile

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Fri May 22 15:24:47 EDT 2009

> Hey Folks,

Aargh profiles. The initial intention was that you could just do
cucumber -p foo.
And then you wouldn't have to type a lot of arguments.

The intention was *not* to use -p along with additional arguments,
although cucumber lets you do it by merging stuff together.

Using profiles as a mechanism to run various subsets of features and
step definitions that live underneath the same features directory is
something I do *not* recommend. It's much easier to have several
different root folders:

features # regular stuff
selenium_features # only selenium stuff

And a rake task for each. Or run cucumber selenium_features or
cucumber features as you see fit.

I know the wiki recommends all this crazy profile stuff. I'm sorry
about that - I didn't write it.

> I followed the instructions on http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/setting-up-selenium
> and created 2 profiles: default and selenium. It works, but not if I
> want to run one feature under a specifc profile. For example, I tried:
> cucumber -p default --require features features/plain/
> manage_users.feature
> and I get all the tests including the selenium server.
> What's goin' on like?

Try to add --verbose to see what's going on. Or better - organise your
features like I described above, and lose the profiles.