[rspec-users] Using "return" in rspec test

Gary Lin glin at employees.org
Mon May 18 22:51:12 EDT 2009

Hi,

I am still new to rspec and I wonder if anyone can give me some insight
about the problem I have encountered.  I notice whenever I use "return"
in my test, it will skip all the examples and exit right out of my test
run.  Here is a small example that demonstrate the problem:

describe "This tests uses return in my code" do
  it "should print Hello" do
      puts "Hello"
      # skip some test scenario if product is in demo mode
      if @product.demoMode?
          return;
     else
       # rest of the test goes here.

  it "should print hi" do
      puts "hi"

With the above spec, the second "it should print hi" test will never get
executed.
I found it would be very useful to use "return" to skip some of the test
code if a particular scenario occurs.  So I wonder if I cannot use
"return" to achieve this, is there any way I can workaround it?

Thanks,

--Gary