[rspec-users] Rails HTML error page in the console.

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Sun May 17 12:58:00 EDT 2009

On 13 May 2009, at 16:13, Ben Mabey wrote:

> Matt Wynne wrote:
>> I'm still bugged by the fact that when I get an exception during a
>> feature run (e.g. Couldn't find partial) then what I see in the
>> console is all the HTML to report that error in a browser.
>>
>> I have had a few ideas for this bubbling around at the back of my
>> mind. I wondered whether anyone else was thinking about this too.
>>
>> I guess the idea would be to patch rails's
>> ActionController#rescue_action_locally with something that threw
>> the exception out at Cucumber rather than bubbling it up to the
>> web. What do you think? Would it work? What are the drawbacks I
>> haven't thought of?
>>
>> cheers,
>> Matt Wynne
>> http://beta.songkick.com
>> http://blog.mattwynne.net
>

> Have you tried catching the error in an After block and opening up
> the page?  Aslak added that functionality:
>
> https://rspec.lighthouseapp.com/projects/16211/tickets/272-pick-up-failure-on-after-hook
>
> -Ben

I think I've actually realised this must be happening because we're
using an old version of webrat - I've just set up a fresh rails app
with shiny new cucumber and webrat version and it reports just the
exception backtrace in the console, rather than the whole HTML error
page.

That hook is handy though, thanks for the tip Ben.

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com