[rspec-users] Cucumber tables

aslak hellesoy aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com
Fri May 15 13:56:58 EDT 2009

> I cannot seem to locate any documentation on how to implement the new
> table syntax otherwise I would not bother the list with this.

I'm not sure what you mean by "new" table syntax. The syntax for
tables hasn't really changed since it was introduced.

> I wish to write something like this:
>
>  And we do have a forex rate for the following currency code and date
>        |code |    date    |  rate  |
>        |"USD"|"2009-04-01"|"0.8555"|
>        |"USD"|"2009-04-05"|"0.8444"|

Why are you quoting the cell values?

> Then /^we do have a forex (.+) for the following currency (.+) and
> (.+)$/ \
>  do |rate,code,date,table|
>  # table is a Cucumber::Ast::Table
>    puts rate
>    puts code
>    puts date
> end
>
> All I see from this is:
> rate
> code
> date

Which makes sense - these are the values of the 3 groups in your regexp.

>    And we do have a forex rate for the following currency code and date
> #
> features/app/models/currency_exchange_rates/step_definitions/currency_exchange_rates_steps.rb:8
>      | code  | date         | rate     |
>      | "USD" | "2009-04-01" | "0.8555" |
>      | "USD" | "2009-04-05" | "0.8444" |
>
> I only get one iteration of output and that only displays the regex
> matches found in the original string.
>
> What is happening with the rest of the data? Is the table data keyed by
> the headings or is it position dependent on the matcher order?  In other
> words, does the data in the table have to be in the same order as the
> regexp in the preceding clause.  If so, then why the table headings?

Doc:

http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/scenario-outlines

Please let us know what's missing or unclear about that.

Aslak