[rspec-users] helpers for examples?

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Fri May 15 12:29:19 EDT 2009

On Fri, May 15, 2009 at 9:04 AM, Denis Haskin <denis at haskinferguson.net> wrote:
> Where's the recommended place to put helper methods & etc for examples?
> I've started putting them in spec/spec_helper.rb but that's going to get
> awfully cluttered.  I'm thinking maybe a spec/lib, and add that to include
> path?  Or just put them in lib?  I notice restful_authentication (I think)
> put AuthenticatedTestHelper there.

I make a spec/spec_helpers/ directory and put them in there. I try to
namespace them in the module SpecHelpers to avoid conflict and/or
confusion with other modules in the app.

I would not use spec/lib/, because a rails app has a lib directory,
and convention would have someone assume spec/lib/ are specs for
objects in RAILS_ROOT/lib/.

> Thx,
>
> dwh

Zach Dennis