[rspec-users] [RSpec] implicit receiver for should problem when helper predicate methods are in use

Jarmo Pertman Jarmo.P at gmail.com
Wed May 13 12:02:09 EDT 2009

On May 12, 6:21 am, David Chelimsky <dchelim... at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't want to promote using self as subject. I think being able to
> do so explicitly, as we can now with your previous patch, is perfectly
> reasonable. But doing so is a bit of a trick in my view, and runs
> counter to the overall intent of the structure of examples of
> behaviour of an object or sub-system. "should" is about that object or
> sub-system, not self.
I'm also thinking that maybe I'm doing something wrong when using this
approach, but cannot think of any better way. Do you have any
suggestions how to get rid of using self as a subject in my context?
Maybe i'm not aware of some best practices when it comes to using
helper methods. Should I monkey-patch Watir (or some other library) to
add methods to it like has_text? and so on in which case subject would
be $browser (which is actually correct)?

> If your whole suite is using this, you can localize the "subject
> {self}" call, however, in spec_helper, like this:
> class Spec::ExampleGroup
>   subject {self}
> end
Thank you for this great tip! I think that this solution will satisfy