[rspec-users] How To Drive Out AJAX Functionality in a Rails View

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue May 12 11:04:22 EDT 2009

On 12 May 2009, at 15:07, David Chelimsky wrote:
> Lee,
> Phlip has some really great ideas about some things, and assert2 is
> lovely, but based on several posts on this and other lists, I'd say he
> doesn't really like RSpec, nor understand its underlying intent. So by
> all means listen to his advice, and by all means take advantage of
> assert2 for this particular problem, but please also understand that
> he is in no way the voice of the RSpec community.
> Cheers,
> David

One thing you might want to consider is looking at using a headless
browser like 'celerity' for testing your ajax code. This is quite a
bit more involved for initial setup than using RSpec but will give you
real confidence as you're actually running your javascript inside a
browser. There are quite a few people on this list who are doing this,
using the 'progressive enhancement'[1] pattern to build a version of
the page that works with raw HTML, then decorate it with javascript
behaviour when the page loads.

I'm not doing this myself in earnest, so I'll say no more, but
hopefully a couple of other people will chime in with some advice.

Matt Wynne