[rspec-users] How To Drive Out AJAX Functionality in a Rails View

Lee Longmore lee_longmore at yahoo.co.uk
Tue May 12 08:36:23 EDT 2009

I am new to RSpec and have just started to drive out my first Rails view using a spec. I have used the The RSpec Book (beta) to do the basic stuff like testing for the presence of a field but I am unsure where to start for driving out some AJAX functionality.

In the view, I will have a text field that a user can enter a name into and then click on a link to check the availability of this name or otherwise. I plan to implement the check as an AJAX request, returning an HTML snippet or 'available' or 'not available'.

I would appreciate some help on what sort of examples one might write and the various mocks, stubs and helpers etc that can be used. Or alternatively a pointer to some existing information/tutorials on this topic.

Thanks.

mobile: +44(0)775 392 8067
home: +44(0) 208 8358256
email:   lee_longmore at yahoo.co.uk