[rspec-users] Sharing common Cuke steps

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Fri May 8 03:05:49 EDT 2009

On 8 May 2009, at 05:55, Mike Doel wrote:

> Cucumber is awesome and destined to rule the world.  As that starts
> to happen, has there been any thought of a mechanism for the
> community to build a library of common, generally useful steps that
> can be used across projects?  I've got stuff that I use for myself at:
> http://github.com/mdoel/cukesteps/tree/master
> This is stuff that I wish were in the default webrat_steps.rb file
> that you get at the start.  Would it be better to fork Cucumber and
> add them there and send a pull request to Aslak?
> It seems to me that there's an opportunity for packaging together
> and sharing steps, but am curious of folks thoughts on the best way
> to go about this.
> Mike

Great stuff, Mike.

I had a similar thought a while back, but it never really took off:

I feel like this might be better suited to being a separate project,
as you'll eventually have steps that are only relevant in certain
contexts (we have quite a few that depend on factory_girl, for
example), and it's likely to change at a different rate to the core
cucumber code.

It's almost like you want a kind of plug-in mechanism for sharing re-
usable step libraries.

Matt Wynne