[rspec-users] cucumber - referential (inherited?) scenarios

Ashley Moran ashley.moran at patchspace.co.uk
Sun May 3 12:58:20 EDT 2009

On 2 May 2009, at 23:33, Ben Mabey wrote:
> We would definitely want it as a feature you could turn on or off.
> By default I think it should be off. I think it adds a lot of noise
> to the feature output.  In most cases I don't care what the exact
> steps of logging in are.  How I log in can change and it doesn't
> really effect this scenario at all.  What is important is that you
> are logged in- not how you got there.  So this is probably not a
> feature I would personally use.  (Especially, given that I don't use
> steps within steps a whole lot.)  That said it seems like a
> reasonable request... Any other opinions on the suggested feature?
> Should we move the discussion to lighthouse?

I think this could be a useful debugging feature, although less
compelling since Cucumber started reporting failures in steps called
from steps the same way as steps called in a feature file.  But
sometimes it's useful to see in finer detail what Cucumber is doing.

One thing I wrestle with frequently is making scenarios fail fast and
transparently.  Assumptions about what exactly is going on creep in,
and often, the step that reports failure is not the one that
fundamentally caused it.  Anything to make that assumption-breaking
easier would be valuable IMHO.

Ashley

--
http://www.patchspace.co.uk/