[rspec-users] Problem verifying routing error

Randy Harmon r_j_h_box-sf at yahoo.com
Sat May 2 16:18:46 EDT 2009

When upgrading to rspec/rspec-rails 1.2.6 gem (from 1.1.12), I'm having
a new problem verifying routes that should not exist.

This is to support something like this in routes.rb:

map.resources :orders do |orders|
    orders.resources :items, :except => [:index,:show]

I used to use lambda {}.should_raise( routing error ), but it stopped
detecting any raised error.  Requesting it through the browser produces
ActionController::MethodNotAllowed (Only post requests are allowed). But
that error wasn't detected.

When I skip the lambda, and just ask it to verify that the route does
exist (which *should* fail), I get the same result for those :except
actions as for a made-up action name.  Seems this must have something to
do with the change in how route_for delegates back to ActionController's
routing assertion (sez the backtrace :).

NoMethodError in 'ItemsController route generation should NOT map
The error occurred while evaluating nil.first

I tried using bypass_rescue in my routing/items_routing_spec.rb file as
mentioned by the upgrade doc, but it wasn't valid in the "routing" spec
- worked fine when I moved the file back to spec/controllers/, though.
Seems like that's not the issue, but I'm mentioning for more completeness.

Any ideas what I should be doing instead, or how I can troubleshoot further?