[rspec-users] cucumber - referential (inherited?) scenarios

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Sat May 2 14:50:28 EDT 2009

Julian Leviston wrote:
> You know what'd be awesome?
>
> If Cucumber scenarios were referential.
>
> I mean, wouldn't it be awesome if you could refer to them... so you
> could build on them...
>
> So in a login.feature I'd define:
>
> Scenario: logging in
> Given that a default user exists
> And I am on the login page
> When I fill in "username" with "username"
> And I fill in "password" with "password"
> Then I should be logged in
>
> And then in a different feature somewhere else, I could say:
>
> another.feature
>
> Scenario: make toast
> Given Scenario "logging in"
> Given I am on the exciting logged in page
> Then I .... blah blah blah
>
> and so on...
>
> Julian.

Believe it or not, this exact feature did exist in Cucumber at one time
but was deprecated and is now removed.  You can find a good explanation
of the reasoning behind that decision and what are the better
alternatives on Joseph's blog:

http://blog.josephwilk.net/ruby/cucumber-waves-goodbye-to-givenscenario.html

-Ben