[rspec-users] Cucumber step definitions vs. RSpec examples

Stephen Eley sfeley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 10:15:13 EDT 2009

On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 7:08 AM, Brandon Olivares
<programmer2188 at gmail.com> wrote:

> For me, it's either TDD or BDD, honestly. I've experienced the assurance
> having tests for nearly every line of code affords me, and don't want to
> forgo that. But I like the semantics of BDD a lot better, after reading the
> RSpec book.

Interesting.  I don't think what you're saying is invalid, but I do
think it's an _unusual_ perspective to consider TDD and BDD as an
either/or.  Depending on whom you ask, BDD is most often seen either
as an evolution/elaboration on TDD, or else the differences are viewed
as purely semantic.

Either way, though, by practicing BDD you're generally doing
everything you'd do in TDD.  You're still specifying
success-vs.-failure conditions before you write the code, and then
writing only the code necessary to achieve success.  Whether you call
those conditions 'behaviors' or 'tests' doesn't change that
fundamental pattern.

--
Have Fun,
   Steve Eley (sfeley at gmail.com)