[rspec-users] autospec fails but rake spec tasks pass (solution)

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 12:38:10 EDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 11:05 PM, jakepaul <dotjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> I figured out what the problem was. Turns out that the controller specs used
> Mocha's any_instance method to stub valid? and return false (I got this idea
> from a Railscast). Due to the order in which autospec runs the specs,
> editing the model spec was causing it to be run after the controller spec,
> and the Mocha stubs were still being applied in the model specs. I'm not
> sure if I was doing something wrong, if there is some way to 'clear' the
> stubbed methods that would be great, or perhaps I just shouldn't use
> any_instance.

I haven't seen the railscast to which you refer, but if you're using
mocha instead of rspec's mock framework, be sure to configure that in
spec_helper.rb (or anywhere that gets loaded before the specs run):

Spec::Runner.configure do |config|
  config.mock_with :mocha
end

If you do that, then the mocha stubs and expectations should get
cleared out after each example runs, eliminating the ordering
dependency that is causing you trouble.

Cheers,
David