[rspec-users] [Cucumber][email-spec] Testing Incoming Email with email-spec

Mischa Fierer f.mischa at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 03:31:19 EDT 2009

Hi,
I've done some work for email-spec that allows you to quickly test incoming
e-mail handling.

Does any body else receive e-mail? If so, I would love your input/feedback,
as I'm hoping this will eventually get merged into master so that everyone
can use.

The branch i'm working in is
here<http://github.com/mischa/email-spec/tree/incoming>.
It provides an IncomingEmail class which you can use to generate emails with
attachments, multipart emails, etc. Your app can then process this email as
if it is a normal one.

The rationale behind this is that while Rails Recipies and others advocate
testing e-mail with actual e-mail fixtures, this felt too brittle for what I
wanted to do.

So, email-spec will now hopefully help with testing things like:

1) Emailing attachments / notes to a backpack-like page
2) Replying to messages via email. E.g. how some websites allow you to
'reply above this line' to messages / comments via email.
3) A messaging system that hides users from each other (e.g. a dating site).

Ben also suggested that this could be used to testing things like how your
app handles bounced e-mail, etc.

I have included a sample list of steps below. If you are confused about how
receiving e-mail might work, please checkout my example app (not using
e-mail spec) here<http://github.com/mischa/receive_mail_example_app/tree/master>.
It uses the fetcher plugin.

Anyway, here are the features:

Feature: EmailSpec Example -- Quickly generate incoming e-mail

In order to keep track of my information

As a customer I want to send e-mail to an e-mail spec app

to keep the e-mail in the app so that it can be with other relavent info

    Scenario: An incoming email is delivered to a page
      Given an incoming email to "mischa at example.com"
      And the email is from "ahcsim at elpmaxe.com"
      And a "User" with the email "mischa at example.com"

      When the email is delivered

      And I go to the email page

      Then I should see the email

    Scenario: An incoming email with a header
      Given an incoming email to "mischa at example.com"
      And the email is from "ahcsim at elpmaxe.com"
      And a "User" with the email "mischa at example.com"
      And the "agent" header is "007"

      When the email is delivered

      And I go to the email page

      Then I should see the email

    Scenario: An incoming email with an attachment is delivered to a page
      Given an incoming email
      And the email is to "mischa at example.com"
      And a "User" with the email "mischa at example.com"
      And the email has the "image/png" file at
"features/support/rails.png" attached

      When the email is delivered
      And I go to the email page
      Then I should see the email
      And I should see the attachment

    Scenario: An incoming multipart email's text part goes to a page
      Given an incoming email to "mischa at example.com"
      And the email is from "ahcsim at elpmaxe.com"
      And the email has both an html part and a text part
      And a "User" with the email "mischa at example.com"

      When the email is delivered

      And I go to the email page

      Then I should see only the text part of the email

    Scenario: An incoming html only email goes to a page
      Given an incoming email to "mischa at example.com"
      And the email has only html
      And the email is from "ahcsim at elpmaxe.com"
      And a "User" with the email "mischa at example.com"