[rspec-users] [Cucumber] ANN: Cucumber with pure Java

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 20:24:15 EDT 2009

2009/3/25 Ben Mabey <ben at benmabey.com>:

> On Mar 25, 2009, at 9:08 AM, aslak hellesoy wrote:
>
> Big news for all Java programmers out there.
> Now you can use Cucumber with pure Java!
>
> That's right, you don't have to write a single line of Ruby! (1)
> All of your step definitions can be written as annotated methods in POJOs
> (Plain Old Java Objects).
>
> To get a taste of what this looks like, check out the simple example in the
> cucumber_java project on GitHub:
>
> * README for example:
> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber_java/tree/271160300da5bc9275dd67624f711c5ea6913187/examples/simple
> * Some sample step defs:
> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber_java/blob/271160300da5bc9275dd67624f711c5ea6913187/examples/simple/src/main/java/simple/StuffSteps.java
> * The main page: http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber_java/tree/master
>
> By this I hope Cucumber will reach a bigger crowd. Much bigger crowd
> actually :-) - this will work for Scala, Clojure, Jython and all the other
> cool JVM languages too.
> (I'll be doing something similar for .NET, which will bring Cucumber
> goodness to C#, F# and whatever languages run on .NET. But IronRuby must
> catch up on speed first).
>
> I had the pleasure of going back to visit PicoContainer - a pioneering
> lightweight dependency injection container I developed with Paul Hammant
> back in 2003. It's still lightweight and a joy to use (relatively speaking -
> Java in itself isn't joyful). Cucumber-java uses PicoContainer to
> instantiate the POJOs that define the annotated step definition methods, so
> if you're so inclined, these classes can depend on each other via
> constructor DI, and PicoContainer just figures out how to instantiate the
> objects).
>
> So if you're working on a Java project, have been looking at Cucumber but
> stayed away because of all the weird Ruby, this is your chance. Here is a
> cuke for Duke!
>
> (::) Aslak (::)
>
> (1) You still need a tiny bit of Ruby to register step definitions:
> http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber_java/blob/271160300da5bc9275dd67624f711c5ea6913187/examples/simple/features/support/env.rb
> (This will hopefully go away in the future, with some better Ant and Maven
> support).
>

> Very cool stuff.  It would be an interesting and informative exercise to
> take a JBehave tutorial and use Cucumber to drive out the same feature and
> then have a side-by-side comparison of the required step definitions.
> found this JBehave tutorial which would make a good candidate for such a
> comparison:
> http://www.ryangreenhall.com/articles/bdd-by-example.html
> If someone doesn't get around to this in the next couple of weeks I may take
> a stab at it and make a blog post of it.

I'm assuming you mean w/Java, but I'd like to encourage folks who are
learning BDD to walk through his example even with Ruby. I did that
tonight and it was quite pleasant. The tutorial is small and focused,
and it can be completed in not much time.  However, the tutorial does
leave out some implementation that you would need in order to actually
complete it, but I find those sorts of things fun to figure out.

Translating Ryan's tutorial to Ruby allows you to explore writing
rspec simple matchers (or full fledged matchers) if you want to go
that route, and overall I found it fun to go through it and practice
my own skills.

I know it's not the comparison Ben and Aslak are talking about, but
for those of you who are looking for a good little tutorial to walk
through and practice with, this one is pretty good if you are somewhat
familiar with Cucumber, RSpec, and Ruby,

--
Zach Dennis
http://www.continuousthinking.com