[rspec-users] [cucumber] webrat+selenium integration problem: record not saved to database?

Ben Mabey ben at benmabey.com
Mon Mar 23 21:00:47 EDT 2009

Balint Erdi wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am writing a simple cucumber feature for a Rails app to test if the
> webrat+selenium integration was successful:
>
>  Scenario: Successful log in
>     Given the user "pepito" exists # (1)
>     And the user "pepito" is active
>     When I go to the login page
>     And I fill in "login" with "pepito"
>     And I fill in "password" with "secret"
>     And I press "submit" # (2)
>     Then I should see a confirmation message
>
> Now I think I managed to set up the architecture all right (using sep.
> setup files for plain and javascript -selenium- features as described
> here: http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/setting-up-selenium).
> The problem is that the "Then I should see a confirmation message"
> fails.
>
> I put a breakpoint at (2) to investigate the problem. I've found that:
>
> 1. the user is succesfully created (User.first in a rails console
> gives back pepito)
> 2. I can log in successfully from the console (User.authenticate
> ("pepito", "secret") gives back the user meaning successful
> authentication.
> 3. The login and password fields are correctly filled with the values
> (checking that in the launched FF browser)
> 4. If I manually submit the form at the breakpoint, it also fails to
> log in, so it's not that the "And I press "submit" step does something
> other than submitting the form.
> 5. the users table in the database that selenium uses is empty.
> (mysql> select * from users;
> Empty set (0.00 sec) ). That surprises me a bit since in theory
> selenium does not use transactional fixtures so the record should
> appear right away after (1) runs.

Webrat's Selenium adapter will not change your DB settings.  On line 10
on your env.rb file you actually have transactional support turned on.
You need to comment that line out when using Selenium.  For more info
please read about this problem on the wiki:

http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/troubleshooting

HTH,
Ben