[rspec-users] Spec Server Error on rake spec:server:start

Charles Grindel chuck at chuckgrindel.com
Mon Mar 23 14:23:21 EDT 2009

I am following the directions for setting up autotest (
and experienced an error when I run rake spec:server:start.

$ rake spec:server:start
(in /home/cgrindel/code/it/webapp)
Starting up spec_server ...
uninitialized constant Rails (NameError)
    from script/spec_server:21:in `require'
    from script/spec_server:21

I took a quick look at the code in script/spec_server.rb.  In short, it
appears that the script requires 'spec/rails/spec_server' before the Rails
environment is loaded which happens on line 26.  I moved the require of
'spec/rails/spec_server' after the Rails environment load.  This appears to
have fixed this issue.

So, my first question, has anyone else seen this problem?  If not, can
anyone explain how the Rails constant should be available before the Rails
environment is loaded?