[rspec-users] OT: SIT - how to turn it off

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Sat Mar 21 10:56:00 EDT 2009

David Chelimsky wrote:

> What type of association? There are many and they are all handled
> quite differently.

In this particular case this was a has_many / belongs_to pair and I was
attempting a parent.child.create({}) call.  I discovered thereby that
Rails, at least in version 2.3.2, evidently does not permit mass
assignment of attributes ending in _type or _value; apparently
regardless of their presence in an attr_accessible call.

However, this problem proved serendipitous.  In consequence I have
discovered a great deal regarding problems with mass assignment. The
result is that I have instead turned off mass assignment for the entire
application.  This, needless to say, has broken a great deal of my tests
and functioning code but I am mostly finished resolving those problems.

I found a good discussion of this problem and some solutions at: