[rspec-users] Problem spec'ing ActionMailer with attachment, body not getting rendered.

Zach Dennis zach.dennis at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 11:46:52 EDT 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Zach Dennis <zach.dennis at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/18 Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com>:
>> I've got a simple ActionMailer::Base subclass:
>> class InfoMailer < ActionMailer::Base
>>
>>     def info(user, zip_name)
>>     recipients user.email
>>     subject "Requested Info"
>>     attachment(:content_type => "application/zip",
>>                 :filename => zip_name,
>>                 :body => File.read(zip_name))
>>     body(:message => "Here is the Info that you Requested")
>>   end
>> end
>> I'm trying to spec this
>> following http://www.rubytutorials.net/2008/02/26/small-rspec-revelations-actionmailer/
>> describe AssetsInfoMailer do
>>   before(:each) do
>>     @user = mock_model(User,
>>         :email => @user_email = "somewhere at over.the.rainbow",
>>         :full_name => "The Wicked Witch of the West"
>>         )
>>     ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :test
>>     ActionMailer::Base.perform_deliveries = true
>>     ActionMailer::Base.deliveries = []
>>   end
>>   describe ".info" do
>>     before(:each) do
>>       @path = 'xyz.zip'
>>       @attachment_body = 'zip_file_contents'
>>       File.stub!(:read).and_return(@attachment_body)
>>       @the_mail = AssetsInfoMailer.deliver_info(@user, at path)
>>       @attachments = @the_mail.attachments
>>     end
>>
>>     it "should have the right body" do
>>       @the_mail.body.should == ""
>>     end
>>   end
>> The expectation of an empty string is just to see what's actually getting
>> returned, the result is:
>> 1)
>> 'AssetsInfoMailer.info should have the right body' FAILED
>> expected: "",
>>      got: "Attachment: xyz.zip\n" (using ==)
>> It's looking like the mail template never got rendered, and body is giving
>> me the attachment since it's the only part.
>> I've got one other mailer method in that mailer which doesn't contain an
>> attachement, and it's body comes out fine.
>> I'm not sure what's going on here, and I'd appreciate any
>> help/insight/condolences...
>>

> When sending attachments emails are sent as multipart messages. The
> only part being specified is the attachment. The other call to "body"
> is being ignored. Try something like:
>
> def info(user, zip_name)
>  recipients user.email
>  subject "Requested Info"
>  attachment(:content_type => "application/zip",
>              :filename => zip_name,
>              :body => File.read(zip_name))
>  part "text/plain" do |p|
>    p.body(:message => "Here is the Info that you Requested")
>  end
> end

I just tried my out, and while it does work because there are multiple
parts specified, also re-ordering of the initial #body to come before
the attachment doesn't seem to help with the original code either.

I'm curious now what you do find out and which route you decide to go,
keep us posted either way Rick.