[rspec-users] bypass_rescue and its inverse

Matt Patterson matt-lists at reprocessed.org
Fri Mar 20 09:18:12 EDT 2009

On 20 Mar 2009, at 06:46, Matt Patterson wrote:

> Such a boon, in fact, that I immediately shoved bypass_rescue into a
> global before :each block so that my controller specs would do what
> I expect by default.
> However, that makes my speccing of the rescue_from code a little
> trickier. Is there an easy way to do the inverse: to switch the
> default Rails behaviour back on, on command?
> I guess the other option is to figure out how to declaratively spec
> rescue from (which I, and judging by forks of the
> rspec_on_rails_matchers plugin, several others figured out for
> before filters)...
> Bit unawake yet, may follow up with an answer to my own question
> when I've imbibed the caffeine.

As predicted, I woke up and implemented a declarative matcher (will
also work on anything which includes ActiveSupport::Rescuable). Up in
rough form at http://github.com/fidothe/rspec-on-rails-matchers/tree/master
. It won't work if you've used a block with rescue_from, but I decided
I could live without that...

   Matt Patterson | Design & Code
   <matt at reprocessed org> | http://www.reprocessed.org/