[rspec-users] How do you use pending in RSpec?

Scott Taylor scott at railsnewbie.com
Thu Mar 12 19:40:53 EDT 2009

Bill Venners wrote:
> Hi Aslak and Scott,
>
> Thanks for your replies. I have a couple quick follow up questions.
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 3:05 PM, aslak hellesoy
> <aslak.hellesoy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Bill Venners <bill at artima.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I've been working on BDD support in a test framework for Scala
>>> imaginatively called ScalaTest, and I want to add support for the
>>>
>> Very cool!
>>

>>> notion of pending examples. I see three different "forms" of pending
>>> in RSpec, and I'm curious to hear which ones RSpec users find most
>>> useful. The three forms are:
>>>
>>> # 1. With no block you get a PENDING (Not Yet Implemented) in the report
>>> it "should say foo"
>>>
>> I rarely use this, as I don't write a lot of specs up front.
>>

> OK. One use case I see for pending is writing the spec text before the
> example code. No one yet has said they actually do this in practice.
> Anyone care to admit this feature is important to them?

Sure, I'll use it occasionally: I'll add three or four cases and then go
to work.

It probably wouldn't be a big deal if rspec didn't have it, though, as I
never leave them before completing them.

>>> # 2. Passing a string, but no block, to pending. You get the PENDING
>>> (get the vocal chords working) in the report.
>>> it "should say foo" do
>>>  pending("get the vocal chords working")
>>>  subject.should say("foo")
>>> end
>>>
>> I find myself using #2 the most. I use it when I want to reduce noise diring
>> a refactoring that breaks a lot.
>>

> You know there's already an "ignore" feature in ScalaTest's Spec,
> which I think is probably like xit in RSpec. You just select "it" and
> change it to "ignore". That means temporarily ignore this test, which
> most likely broke because I'm doing refactoring. What's missing is
> that there's no way with ignore to specify a string like you can with
> pending #2. What do you usually put in that string?

it "should do such and such" do
  pending 'This is a bug which I can't currently figure out.  Revisit
once feature X is done'

>>> # 3. Pass a string and a block to pending. If the pending code raises
>>> an exception, then you get PENDING (get the vocal chords working)k
>>> # but if not, I believe the whole tests fails to let you know you need
>>> to drop the pending stuff now that it works (I may be wrong).
>>> it "should say foo" do
>>>  pending("get the vocal chords working") do
>>>    subject.should say("foo")
>>>  end
>>> end
>>>
>> I sometimes use this when I'm not sure why the example is failing, but don't
>> want to look into it right now.
>>

> I guess I'm curious:
>
> 1) How important is it to you to be able to just "strike out" the
> lines of code within an example that are failing (as you can with
> RSpec's #3 pending form), versus just "striking out" the entire
> example as you can with ignore in ScalaTest.

Striking out the entire example is what's important - not a subset of
the spec.

> 2) How important is it to you to be able to add a string message to
> your stricken code, as you can with either #2 or #3 in RSpec? How does
> that string help you?

It makes it clear why I made it pending in the first place, and went
ahead and committed it anyway without finishing it.

That's my workflow - others may be different, especially with the advent
of rbehave / story runner / cucumber.

Scott