[rspec-users] Question on SQL exceptions

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Mar 9 16:53:22 EDT 2009

Pat Maddox wrote:
> ActiveRecord doesn't know anything about db constraint errors.  If one
> is violated, the error propagates up in the form of an exception.

I realize that, but the exception is of the
ActiveRecord:StatementInvalid class, which I should be able to catch in
the controller with a rescue clause.  But, I am not getting this to work
at the moment.  I thought that this should at least produce some out put
but it never does:

  def create
    @entity = Entity.new(params[:entity])
    respond_to do |format|
  rescue => my_exception
    puts "Rescue clause invoked!"
    puts my_exception

For now, all I want is to see the rescue clause invoked, but it is not.
have I put this clause in the wrong place? Am I specifying it wrong?