[rspec-users] what has RSpec got against stack traces?

Scott Taylor scott at railsnewbie.com
Sat Mar 7 04:46:24 EST 2009

Phlip wrote:
> Tero Tilus wrote:
>
>>> Line 192 contains neither a stray nil nor a method 'macro'.
>>
>> So what exactly _is_ there?  Do you know that particular line causes
>> (or noes not cause) the error?
>
> Test::Unit::TestCase said the error was ~20 layers deeper - but
> exactly below the same to_xml() call as RSpec indicated. RSpec threw
> the stack trace away.
>
> Please please please focus: Nobody is asking how to debug, or how to
> call to_xml() correctly. (The problem turned out to be :include =>
> :authors instead of :include => :author, where the belongs_to used
> :author singular. Big deal!)
Go and file a bug report then, but if you only give this level of
detail, the bug will never get fixed.

Even if you can't post code (because it's closed-source or what
have-you),  usually you can at least post a spec.  Please please please
focus: We can't read your specs nor your code, and without that we are
poking around in the dark.

Scott