[rspec-users] Cucumber + Webrat + Selenium + ActionMailer

Raimond Garcia lists at ruby-forum.com
Fri Mar 6 06:23:19 EST 2009

Manasi Vora wrote:

> Hi Rai,
>
> Good that you have found a solution..
>
> but I still don't understand why you want to test sending mails from the
> browser. In my project, we use Cucumber + Webrat for writing functional
> features.
> and Cucumber + selenium for acceptance features.
>
> Functional tests can enable ruby code and test for the number of mails
> sent
> and to whom, etc
> Acdeptance only tests what the user would see..
>
> Let me know if it makes sense.. and it would be great if you could
> elaborate
> on your purpose of testing mails from the browser...
>
> Thanks,
> Manasi

Hi Manasi,

We have a bit of both, sometimes we can test email sending with Cucumber
+ Webrat, but in this particular case, the feature that sent out emails
also used Javascript.

We could have split the feature in two, one to test the Javascript with
a Selenium feature and one to test the emails with a Webrat feature, but
IMHO adding a couple of steps to the selenium feature to check for
emails, is a good choice to help to clearly see the whole intent of the
feature.

Rai