[rspec-users] Cucumber for large projects

Remi Gagnon rem.gagnon at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 21:21:34 EST 2009

Let me share my experience.

On my side we do produce 3 documents before starting with rspec.

1- A web designer creates a design for a screen in conjunction with the
marketing team and the analyst assigned to the this feature.  The marketing
dep, acts as the customer.

2-The analyst produce a "word" document containing the stories and scenarios
attached to this screen.  This work is done again in conjunction with the
web designer cause she is also an ergonomist and the Marketing dep.  The
analyst has to have the approval of these stories-scenarios before he can
share this info to the ruby programmers.

3- The analyst produce also a little spreadsheet defining all labels, fields
and any specifities of the screen to eleminates any "second guess" of the
ruby dev.

As soon the ruby dep got those docs they start creating specs for this.  For
now we are not using cucumber yet.  It is already a huge challenge for me to
convience legacy programmers to learn ruby, rails OOP in the BDD way.  In
short term I plan to experience it.

For now we are not having any tool to transfer stories-scenarios from our
word doc to rspec file.  If any of you have something for that, let me know.

Rémi Gagnon