[rspec-users] Cucumber for large projects

Rich Morin rdm at cfcl.com
Tue Mar 3 20:51:33 EST 2009

At 16:41 -0800 3/3/09, Pat Maddox wrote:
> Not quite.  Some customers don't want to sit down next to you as you
> write the stories.  In that situation, we'll talk about features, I
> take notes, then I write up the features and ship them via email or
> wiki.  They're still involved in the creation of stories and
> acceptance criteria, they're just not present when those criteria get
> entered into cucumber features.

In the Ontiki project, I am acting as my own initial customer and the
primary customers (for at least a while) will be Ruby programmers.  So,
I'm playing with the use of a pre-processor which allows use of eRuby
(for selection, repetition, and variable substitution), line folding,
etc.  This DRYs out my editable files (fe/*.fe), while generating
readable and Gherkin-compliant feature (*.feature) files.

This would not work well for a highly interactive situation, but it
might work in a situation like the one you describe.  It may also give
us some useful feedback about useful extensions for Gherkin.

http://www.cfcl.com/rdm/resume     rdm at cfcl.com