[rspec-users] Cucumber for large projects

Matt Wynne matt at mattwynne.net
Tue Mar 3 08:49:54 EST 2009

On 3 Mar 2009, at 10:06, aidy lewis wrote:

> Hi Matt/Dan
>
> 2009/3/2 Matt Wynne <matt at mattwynne.net>:
>
>> At the moment, IMO, the tools for feeding back the features to non-
>> technical
>> people are pretty immature. My colleague Dan Lucraft wrote a tool
>> which
>> produces a nicely-formatted PDF document from your features
>> folder[1] which
>> is great, but won't work with the new version (0.2) of Cucumber
>> when it's
>> released as the API against which such formatters are written has
>> undergone
>> some significant changes for the new version.
>>

>> [1]http://www.daniellucraft.com/blog/2009/01/features_report/
>
> To me the user\customer should be involved in the creation of the
> stories and the acceptance criteria and by producing a pdf later in
> the cycle for those stakeholders to read and understand may be argued
> as something that is not Story-Driven-Development and more like
> comprehendible automated tests.

Should I expect a visit from the Extreme Programing Police Aidy? ;)

I take your point, and I always try to pair with stakeholders when
creating new features. I think it's also important though that when
stakeholders are considering adding new features or changing existing
ones that the current set of Running Tested Features is as visible as
possible to them. This is one of the advantages of something like
Fitnesse, where each feature is only a URL away.

Matt Wynne
http://blog.mattwynne.net
http://www.songkick.com