[rspec-users] Feature Size-Scope-Scale

James Byrne lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Mar 2 10:07:23 EST 2009

The more I work with BDD the more I realize how different this is from
my previous experience.  I now consider that part of the difficulty I
have lies in establishing the proper scale for the features that I
propose.  My question lies in that vein.  What size should a feature be?

I have read a great deal about scaling features in terms of hours of
work.  However, at my present level of inefficiency, that will probably
result in features that are too small just as I now believe that the
features I have now are too large.  Besides which, I seem to grasp
examples better than metrics when conceptualizing such things.

Returning to my client case.  Given that the system must permit
administering clients then does one have a single feature called "System
has clients..." and bundle all the activity related thereto in its
scenarios.  Or, as I begin to suspect, should one have separate features
like "Add a new client"; "Deactivate an existing client"; Reactivate an
inactive client"; "Report all active clients; ... and so forth.