[rspec-users] When spec/test/unit is used then TestUnit Console Runner.run TestCase does not run testcases

marekj marekj.com at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 16:14:16 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:55 PM, David Chelimsky<dchelimsky at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:47 PM, marekj<marekj.com at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi, I have some old test/unit testcases (used for browser acceptance
>> tests) that I want to convert to rspec.
>> I first started converting assertions to matchers  and my tests ran
>> fine using TestRunner.run method
>>  ...snip...
>>
>> 2) here is the setup with 'spec/test/unit' that does not run
>>
>> require 'spec/test/unit'
>> class Test_spec < Test::Unit::TestCase
>>  def test_a
>>    'a'.should == 'a'
>>  end
>> end
>>
>> # This now will not run Test_spec class
>> require 'test/unit/ui/console/testrunner'
>> puts "before runner"
>> Test::Unit::UI::Console::TestRunner.run Test_spec
>> puts "after runner"
>>

>> Am I missing something?
>
> This is by design. When you run with RSpec, RSpec takes over the run,
> taking test/unit's runner out of the picture. Sorry I can't give you a
> better answer, except to say that future versions of RSpec may not
> suffer this problem. But that's a few months off (at least), and just
> a gleam in my eye.
>
> Cheers,
> David

Thanks David,
And is there another mechanism I could use from Rspec that explicitly
calls TestCase or ExampleGroup class?
I just want to retain that mechanism of 'run some code then run tests
then run some code'
This is for Watir Browser tests so I have workflow setup code that
then drives test cases

Thanks again
marekj