[rspec-users] When spec/test/unit is used then TestUnit Console Runner.run TestCase does not run testcases

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 15:55:23 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 2:47 PM, marekj<marekj.com at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I have some old test/unit testcases (used for browser acceptance
> tests) that I want to convert to rspec.
> I first started converting assertions to matchers  and my tests ran
> fine using TestRunner.run method
>
> 1) Here is my test that works when Spec::Matchers were added to TestUnit only
>
> require 'test/unit'
> require 'spec/expectations'
> class Test::Unit::TestCase
>  include Spec::Matchers
> end
>
> class Test_spec < Test::Unit::TestCase
>  def test_a
>    'a'.should == 'a'
>  end
> end
>
> # TestRunner
> require 'test/unit/ui/console/testrunner'
> puts "before runner some code"
> Test::Unit::UI::Console::TestRunner.run Test_spec
> puts "after runner some code"
>
> The reason I use TestRunner is for some browser driving and desktop
> cleanup and other non test stuff.
> Then console runner runs testcase and I follow with some other code
> (email, notifications etc...)
>
> When I now started using 'spec/test/unit' the Console runner will not run tests.
>
> 2) here is the setup with 'spec/test/unit' that does not run
>
> require 'spec/test/unit'
> class Test_spec < Test::Unit::TestCase
>  def test_a
>    'a'.should == 'a'
>  end
> end
>
> # This now will not run Test_spec class
> require 'test/unit/ui/console/testrunner'
> puts "before runner"
> Test::Unit::UI::Console::TestRunner.run Test_spec
> puts "after runner"
>

> == I use rspec 1.2.7 (with Ruby 1.8.6 on Windows)
>

> Am I missing something?

This is by design. When you run with RSpec, RSpec takes over the run,
taking test/unit's runner out of the picture. Sorry I can't give you a
better answer, except to say that future versions of RSpec may not
suffer this problem. But that's a few months off (at least), and just
a gleam in my eye.

Cheers,
David