[rspec-users] Running RSpec under MultiRuby

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 12:13:09 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:15 AM, Luis Lavena<luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Rick DeNatale<rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Luis Lavena<luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Rick DeNatale<rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:

>> But the real reason I went the way I did was that it allows other rake
>> tasks to depend on the multiruby rspec tasks without requiring ALL
>> rake tests to run under multiruby.
>
> But that is kind of cheating.
>
> Let say I have only 1.9 on my system, I checkout a project and try to
> get the list of task of that project with rake -T
>
> Now, since I was not testing 100% against Ruby 1.9, I never found that
> one of the gems I depend on (let's say Hoe) was not 1.9 compatible.

I think that hoe is a good example of when 1.9 compatibility is
optional.  Hoe is only used to deploy the gem to rubyforge... It
doesn't affect the compatibility of the gem being released.

And the rake tasks I'm thinking of are things like having a
deploy/publish task which pre-regs running the specs for the thing
being deployed and making sure they run under multiruby as a pre-req
to deployment/publication.

I this case you want to be able to run only the specs under multiruby,
not the whole deployment/publication task, which would (try) to
deploy/publish 2/3/4 times depending on how many ruby installations
you have set up for multiruby.

--
Rick DeNatale