[rspec-users] Running RSpec under MultiRuby

Luis Lavena luislavena at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 00:15:32 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 11:24 PM, Rick DeNatale<rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:18 PM, Luis Lavena<luislavena at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 8:54 PM, Rick DeNatale<rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just published a quick article showing how to use the patch I
>>> provided and David just release in RSpec 1.2.7 to run your specs using
>>> multiruby:
>>>
>>> http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/2009/06/24/rspec-meet-multiruby
>>>

>> Tried to leave you this comment:
>>
>> I have setup 'mr' as alias for multiruby, so I can do
>>
>> mr -S rake spec
>
> As far as I can tell, this requires that you install rake in all the
> various multiruby setups.

Yes, but that should be true for environment isolation since different
versions of ruby behave in different ways, add to the mix the Gems and
you have a Molotov coctail on your hands ;-)

But you can use multiruby_setup rubygems:merge

Which should symlink the rubygems installations of your different ruby
versions and get those shared.

(beware of gems with native extensions and having ruby 1.8 and 1.9
with multiruby).

> But the real reason I went the way I did was that it allows other rake
> tasks to depend on the multiruby rspec tasks without requiring ALL
> rake tests to run under multiruby.

But that is kind of cheating.

Let say I have only 1.9 on my system, I checkout a project and try to
get the list of task of that project with rake -T

Now, since I was not testing 100% against Ruby 1.9, I never found that
one of the gems I depend on (let's say Hoe) was not 1.9 compatible.

Then I get people complaining about my project not working with Ruby
1.9... but "it worked on my computer" you would say.

Anyhow, different approaches I believe, and in any case, is good to
know that RSpec now supports setting the ruby interpreter and not
leveraging on RUBY definition itself.

Thank you for the patch.
--
Luis Lavena