[rspec-users] Problem while generating rspec model in Rails Project

David Chelimsky dchelimsky at gmail.com
Mon Jun 15 08:34:36 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 1:42 AM, Ninad Pol<lists at ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
> No, above command does not give me same error. However it creates only
> the model file under \app\models and asks whether to overwrite it. But
> my aim is to create rspec file under \spec\models with the actual model
> file created under \app\models remaining unchanged. So using the rails
> generator does not meet my objective and i have to use rspec generator
> to meet the requirement.

I wasn't trying to meet your requirement with this - just trying to
narrow down the problem.

> Ideal schenario should be that rspec generator creates the desired rspec
> file under \spec\models and while creating actual model file under
> \app\models it should ask for whether to overwrite it. I am not getting
> this schenario may be because i am missing something.It would be really
> helpful if you could help me out in this.

The rails code that triggers this will always raise this error if the
Client constant (in your case) is already defined. This normally
doesn't conflict with files in your app because they are not loaded
when you run generators. So it seems that something other than
app/models/client.rb is getting loaded that defines the Client
constant (either a class or a module).

Do you have any plugins that define a Client? Or perhaps you've got
some extension in the lib directory?